Saturday, October 15, 2016

Cherry Pie Adventure

Hello everyone!

This week was actually my companion's year mark and there was a celebration for him and the rest of his group last Saturday. So, having just received my Mom's cherry pie recipe, I decided to make it for the party. It started out just fine, I mixed the filling together and put it in the pan and put the top crust on with no problem whatsoever. So, I joyfully put the pie in the oven and thought how great that pie was going to be when it was done. I went to read my scriptures and my companion started making pancakes for breakfast. A little while later he tells me there's smoke coming out of the oven. While the pie was baking away, filling was leaking out and dripping onto to bottom of the oven where it started to smolder and smoke. Luckily, it didn't catch fire. It was then I remembered that when my mom made that pie she put a pan underneath the pie to catch drippings. Oops. So, as the pie baked, the smoke got thicker and thicker until it started filling the apartment, I'm amazed the smoke alarm didn't go off, probably because we had the sliding door open and the fan on the air conditioner on. Eventually the filling solidified to the point it stopped dripping and the stuff on the bottom turned into charcoal and the smoke stopped. So, that crisis was adverted. I took the pie out of the oven and it was amazing! It looked great and smelled great and when I took it to the party everyone who tried it liked it and were very impressed that I had made it.

I was thinking about this experience and I realized that sometimes trials can be like that. In the moment, it can seem like everything has gone wrong, there is smoke billowing out of the oven, so to speak, and there seems to be no possibility that it will ever work out. But after the trial is over and the smoke clears everything turns out fine, amazing even. And you think, "Wow, that wasn't so bad, that turned out just fine despite what it seemed." That pie was one of the best I had ever had because I had made it myself and because of the difficulty that came with making it. And I have experienced that the experiences I've gained from my trials are sweeter because of the difficulty that preceded them. And now I know that the next time I make that pie I need to put a pan or aluminum foil or something underneath the pie to catch any drippings that will come. I'm grateful for this experience and what it has taught me and if any of you are wondering, yes, I did clean the oven afterward.

Have a good week everybody!     

-- 
Elder Christensen


No comments:

Post a Comment