Friday, August 12, 2016

Films, Films, and more Films


Hi everyone,



This week I drowned in microfilms. Our friend from France was still active this week, so that was always exciting. Also we cleaned out a lot of the films that were being held for patrons in the office, so my companion and I had to put those away as well.



However, this was easier because my companion and I came up with a system involving an excel spreadsheet. In honor of the Book of Mormon reading challenge I will explain it in terms of Jacob 5:



The Allegory of the Microfilms



There once was a High Density storage facility (where the shelves are close together and mechanized, kind of like an overflow) in a library in Salt Lake City. Several of these films had gone missing, whether by vagabonds or error is unknown. When the Lord of High Density (Elder Enderle, the Assistant Zone Leader) saw this, he saith "it grieveth me that I should lose these films, for the patrons are coming and wish to view them to do their family history. What more can I do for High Density?" Then the servant (Elder Schroeder) said unto him "let us make a spreadsheet and scan the barcodes thereon and when we return the films, write upon it the cabinet number wherewith we place the films, that they go not missing." And when the Lord of High Density heard this, he was glad and saith "Go, do as thou sayest; scan the bar codes upon the films into the spreadsheet that they go not missing." And they all went and did as was said, and when the patrons came films were not missing and there was much rejoicing throughout the land.



Hey, even missionaries need to have fun. But in all seriousness I could see the Lord's hand in that experience. I could see Him guiding Elder Schroeder and I through the process of making and refining that excel spreadsheet, because we needed to not lose those films. It was a wonderful testimony that the Lord is invested in everything we do, as long as our intent is righteous and in the service of others.



Well, that's really it for this week. I'm doing okay. This whole missionary thing is becoming a lot easier to manage. Transfers are coming up soon, so maybe I'll be moved somewhere else. I love being around all the books in the library. I really love the work I'm doing. One of these weeks I'll remember to include my mailing address in the email so if you want you can send me a letter or something.



Love you all

Ryan     

1 comment:

  1. Simply amazing how the Lord will direct our works if we let Him!

    ReplyDelete